Parrotdog Robert White Stout

This bizarre style of beer I think just exists for the purpose of doing something cause you can: Make a beer that tastes like a stout but doesn't look like a stout. This is the second White Stout I've had (the first was by Giant Brewing in Hawkes Bay), and again I've been impressed by the big delicious stoutiness they manage to pack into something that looks like a pale ale. 

This guy has unmistakable coffee bean notes (and I happened to be tossing up between filling a craving for coffee or beer at the time - so it hit the spot on both accounts), that hit both your nose and mouth. The smell is almost all coffee actually, but more of a cold brew coffee or freshly ground bean smell than an espresso. The taste is great with definite coffee notes but definite stout notes too. I guess that's the roastiness from the coffee and cacao nibs with a subtle hop bitterness and some clever speciality malts with big flavour but not much colour. It all falls together beautifully and to be honest I loved this a lot more than I thought I would!



ABV: 6.0%
Brewery: Parrotdog
Region: Wellington
Style: White Stout
Wife Check: no wife
Drinking Song: Tribute by Tenacious D

Comments

Popular Posts