Liberty Citra Double IPA

A big double IPA with a nice smattering bitterness, a reasonably subtle maltiness and a bit less American hop aroma in the front than I was expecting. Maybe I've just forgotton what Citra tastes like with all the new US varieties about. At some point in time Citra was what I thought of as the ultimate hop with massive citrus aroma unlike anything (I used to put it in everything, I think even my first attempt at a Doppelbock had Citra in it) but it's since been matched or surpassed with so many new hop varieties (maybe just new to me), and to be honest I rarely brew with anything other than NZ hops these days. Maybe I'm overdue to brew a big West Coast American hopped double IPA. Er, sidetracked, I love the beer.

Definitely a big yum beer with a big flavour, goes down much easier than you'd expect for 9.0% ABV, especially considering the big bitterness; but for me the malty character was a little light (I guess classic for a West Coast IPA), and while the bitterness was delicious, and the hop flavours were very yum and fresh tasting, they just weren't quite my style.



ABV: 9.0%
Brewery: Liberty
Region: Hellensville, Auckland
Style: Double IPA / West Coast IPA
Wife check: "Smells good, but goes down a bit easy for an 9%er!"

Comments

Popular Posts