Duncan's Juniper IPA

Who takes New Zealand's favourite spirit of the moment (gin) and thinks to add the key ingredient (juniper berries - the definition of gin is basically vodka infused with juniper berries and any other botanicals the ginster sees fit) to New Zealand's favourite beer style (well my favourite anyhow)? A dude with a big beard in Kapiti who adds all sorts of bits to his sometimes unexpectedly good beers, that's who. I'm guessing his name is Duncan (I like to think of him as Dunc) but I don't actually know that for a fact (I guess I could google it).

This beer is really my kind of IPA, big bitterness, big malt, big hop aroma. The juniper was sneakily in there leaving me thinking the whole time "It tastes like gin.... Wait, does it? Nah... Wait, yeah I think I'm getting a gin hint... No, wait, am I?... Yeah I think I am..." (and I do like that kind of curious mind-experiment). I suppose if I didn't know the juniper was there I mightn't have noticed it. But that aside, I loved the big double IPA beeriness.

Another great Kapiti beer. On ya Dunc.



ABV: 7.0%
Brewery: Duncan's Brewing Co
Region: Kapiti (Wellington)
Style: Douple/Imperial IPA
Wife check: "Yeah I like it. It tastes like... Hops" (good one, wife)

Comments

Popular Posts