Cargo - Lost Cargo India Pale Lager

India Pale Lager. I've said it about other beer styles, and I'll say it again... Is that a thing? If an XPA is like an IPA/APA but with a lighter body and malt, then I guess an IPL is like an IPA but with a lighter body that isn't really lighter but kind of smoother and more lagery (and less oomph-y). I think the reason the huge hoppy beers are ales rather than lagers are because lagers should be kind of crisp, delicate and subtle compared to the brute power of an ale. If a lager is like a white wine and an ale like a red, I guess IPL is the rosè of beers.

Hmmm, so yes. The beer. It's got all the good hop qualities of its pale ale counterpart,but not the malty ale foundation underneath to drive it home. But all the smooth crispness of a good European lager with a fairly generous residual malty sweetness. But I felt like these two delicious aspects of very different beer styles just didn't quite gel together that well. Imagine taking a fantastic pizza and a delicious chocolate cake and then making the cake with pizza sauce as icing. No wait that's probably a stupid analogy. I did like the beer (way more than a tomato cake), I just don't agree with the style on pricipal, I think lagers should probably just be lagers. And India Pale stuff should be ales.



ABV: 6.3%
Brewery: Cargo
Region: Queenstown
Style: India Pale Lager
Wife check: "Dun like it. Smells better than it tastes. Yeah I don't like it."

Comments

Popular Posts