Cassels Red IPA


I was having beer chat just last weekend with a mate, and he said he just doesn't get this new sour beer craze, or the hazy IPA fad... all he wants is a good red IPA, heavy on the hops, heavy on the malt, and yet easily drinkable. I haven't had a red IPA in quite a while, but here I am with this, and it's right on the money.

Sitting around after putting down a brew, the house stinks of hops and my nose seems to have it's own stink of sweet malt; decide to crack open a Cassels Red IPA. Pours beautifully, a nice red clear bear with a tainted yellow head and a good whaff of hops and malt (before even tasting or touching it, we're already winning with 3/5 senses: hearing, smell and vision). 


 


A huge chewy caramel toffee maltiness with a nice big British and Kiwi and American hops flavour (all three nations shine through somehow without treading on each others toes), great balance of bitterness and aroma. Tastes like an IPA and yet at the same time tastes like a good Celtic Red ale with that almost bark like chewiness. 

I think the moral of the story is I should listen to my mate, and drink more Red IPA, and stop trying sour beers (I keep trying and I still don't like em...). I'm not sure I can think of another beer that uses Kiwi, British and American hops in the same beer - and they've really pulled it off!

cassels.nz

ABV: 6.6%
Brewery: Cassels
Region: Christchurch
Style: Red IPA
Wife check: "That's strong." (Not sure if she was talking about me or the beer)
Drinking Song: Will You Be There by Michael Jackson

Comments

Popular Posts