Lone Bee Sparkling Mead

Mead is something I've been wanting to try for a while, so when I found out there was a local outfit making some, I was super keen. I wasn't quite sure what to expect - I've had some honey beers before, and I've had a mead liqueur, but never just straight mead. Hard to guess what fermented honey would taste like - take most of the sweetness out of the honey and what are you left with? Mead can be made anywhere from about 5-15% ABV, and can be sparkling or still - I guess anywhere from something like a cider to a wine to a liqeur. This one is sparkling and 5.3%, so really goes down like a beer or a cider. Made from clover and Manuka honey (does that mean a bush honey perhaps?).

This is a It didn't have a huge smell out of the bottle. It poured like a champagne or a cider - no head, very sparkling (I imagine force carbed rather than natural carbonation?). I quite enjoyed it, it had an almost mediciney undertaste of honey, a reasonable about of sweetness, and was quite smooth and nice (perfect on a hot day). Nothing added to it (I guess) other than honey and yeast, so it has a delicate simplicity about it which I enjoyed. I was satisfied, and I'll probably have more (although I had to travel a wee way to find a stockist).

Well I can't compare it to other mead, as I haven't had any others, but it tastes good, I like it. I might make some.


lonebee.co.nz

(For a little review on these guys see - https://www.viva.co.nz/article/food-drink/lone-bee-honeymead/)

ABV: 5.3%
Brewery: Lone Bee 
Region: Auckland
Style: Mead 
Wife check: "Nah, not really into it, tastes like medicine."

Comments

Popular Posts